[Web10g-user] multiple patches for linux kernel 3.3

rapier rapier at psc.edu
Thu Aug 15 17:04:27 EDT 2013

Hi Srikanth,

The kis patch (kernel instrument set) only applies the MIB to the
kernel. It doesn't implement the netlinks module used to read the sats
from the MIB. The diag patch uses a non-netlinks method for accessing
the MIB. That was basically built as a proof of concept.

The diag patch isn't supported in later kernels.

So, why have a kis only patch? Two reasons, first it gives developers an
opportunity to create their own access methods unencumbered by unneeded
code. Second, the kis is likely what we hope to submit to the linux
kernel dev team as it's the minimal necessary code to provide metrics in
the kernel.

Chris