[Web10g-user] Web10g TCP statistics patch - mainlining into kernel?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jan 25 14:56:24 EST 2013

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:34:57 -0500, rapier said:

> My name is Chris Rapier and I'm on the Web10G dev team. We are
> interested in moving this into consideration for the mainline Linux
> kernel, in fact it's the primary goal of this project. We haven't
> brought this to the linux kernel community as of yet as we've not
> completed the quantification of performance/memory impact versus a
> vanilla baseline as of yet.

I already looked over the patch and it looks *fairly* sane.  Having said
that, the best way to proceed for the performance side is probably to
get some rough ballpark numbers and then get the patch into a state
that's upstream-able before doing the final measurements (because there's
actually a high likelihood that the final numbers will end up being
dependent on the exact details of the patch, plus having more eyeballs on
it from the netdev side may shake out better approaches).

Sorry if you've already done all that - I didn't see much evidence of
it from the web10g-user archives...