[Web10g-user] Web10g TCP statistics patch - mainlining into kernel?

Dominic Hamon dominic at google.com
Fri Jan 25 18:59:32 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Tom Herbert <therbert at google.com> wrote:

> > The user side of the list has been pretty quiet to be sure. Most of the
> > discussion happens internal to the team. The primary KIS developer is out
> > the office until next week but I'll try to make sure he addresses this as
> > soon as he can. I agree entirely with the more eyes approach and none of
> us
> > have a lot of ego sunk into the details of the code in and of itself. As
> > researchers, more than anything else, we want the concept moved forward.
> We
> > believe, strongly, that having these metrics in the mainline can really
> do a
> > lot to help the entire user community and spur some really neat
> development.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> Hi Chris, Valdis,
>
> This is certainly interesting, and something that we'd really want to
> try to get in upstream Linux since it's is so intrusive in the stack
> (we have actually done quite a bit of work in this area already that
> might be applicable).  Posting patches against davem's net-next branch
> seems appropriate and you could certainly post them as RFC to start
> some conversation.

Hi Chris, Valdis, Tom

I'm happy to prepare these patches, which should be relatively
straight-forward now that I have an active branch with them applied. I
understand the urge to wait until further testing can be done, however I
think getting this in front of more people sooner will dictate how that
testing might proceed, and highlight any issues with the patch before more
effort goes into it.

Chris, if you'd rather start the conversation then let me know.

- dominic