[Web10g-user] Difference Between Userland Tools and Kernel Demo Code

rapier rapier at psc.edu
Tue Nov 12 16:36:08 EST 2013

On 11/12/13, 4:07 PM, Ben Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am just starting to look into Web10G and would appreciate some help on
> two questions.
>
> 1) What is the difference between the demo code included with the kernel
> patches and the userland API tools?

If you are getting the software from the web10g.org site it should be
the same code base. The most recent version is 2.0.7.

> 2) I would like to run this package on a platform of home routers which
> ships with libmnl 1.0.1 rather than 1.0.2. (The routers run a 3.3.8
> kernel) Web10G compiles for me, but is it safe to use libmnl 1.0.1
> rather than 1.0.2?

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure if there will be any problems running
the api with the 1.0.1 libmnl. We do include the recommended libmnl in
the distribution but compiling and installing that may be problematic in
your environment though. However, I don't see any actual danger in using
1.0.1. The worst you'll deal with is a failure on the part of the tools.
I don't think it would cause a panic or otherwise compromise your system.